Seems like this Family Tree trend has been growing enormously everyone wants to place such art in their living room walls but let’s face it some of these DYI creations don’t come out like what we imagine in our heads. Well today I’m here to give you all the correct information you’ll need to create your very own Family Tree wall art.
- Lay a drop-cloth on the floor underneath the wall you are decorating.
- Draw a tree and branches on your wall. Sketch the trunk by drawing two slightly outwardly bowed, vertical lines at least 12 inches apart. At the top of the trunk, draw a “V” shape, with the “V” centered in the trunk. Draw another line from the outside of the trunk to the top of the “V,” following the shape to the top. Bring the lines toward each other to meet at the top, making the branch thinner as it gets farther away from the trunk. Repeat on the other side. Use a similar technique to draw smaller branches off the main two. Draw enough branches for every family member.
- Draw elongated ellipses as leaves at the end of some of the branches. Bring the ellipse to a point on both ends. Scatter these shapes throughout the tree’s branches as desired.
- Paint the trunk and branches of your tree brown, using craft paint. If you are painting the tree as a silhouette, fill the entire silhouette using the same paint. Allow the paint to dry completely. Apply a second coat if the original wall color still shows. If painting a tree in several shades of brown and green, pour two or more shades of brown near each other, dipping the brush into both colors. Paint the tree, applying vertical strokes to make lines to indicate bark. Use several shades of green to create leaves. Add fine details with a narrow paintbrush and fill in shapes with a larger brush.
- Attach the removable picture hangers to the wall according to the manufacturer’s instructions. You will hang one picture on each branch. Repeat until you have a place to hang all your family photos.
- Spell your family name using the large vinyl letters over the tree. Attach the decals according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Use the small letters to spell the name of each family member underneath their picture. Attach the decals according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Things You Will Need
- Soft drawing pencil
- Paintbrushes in various sizes
- 1 large bottle of brown acrylic craft paint
- Green acrylic craft paints, in various “leaf” shades
- 4-by-6-inch or 5-by-7-framed family photos
- Removable picture hangers
- Large vinyl wall decal letters
- Small vinyl wall decal letters
- Sketch out your family tree on paper prior to drawing it on the wall.
- If you aren’t artistically inclined or are worried about freehand drawing a tree, you can buy vinyl decal family trees online.
- Use a photograph of an actual tree and a projector to project the image on the wall. Using chalk or an artist’s drawing pencil, trace the image on the wall.
- Instead of painting leaves with a paintbrush, use a sea sponge, lightly dipped in green paint, to create each leaf.
- Use picture frames in the same finish and size to make the tree look cohesive.
- Paint in a well-ventilated area.
To purchase click link below