I’m basically drooling again just thinking about this cake, and I have a million ideas for different versions running through my head. I already can’t wait to make another one.
In this version, I mixed together sweetened condensed milk, cream of coconut, and pineapple juice, and poured it on top of my warm cake. I was a little alarmed by how saturated the cake was at first, but don’t worry! All that oooey goodness is going to seep into your cake as it sits in the refrigerator overnight – I promise.
Then you’ll top your cake with crushed pineapple and a homemade whipped cream flavored with coconut. Garnish it with shredded coconut and a cherry, and one bite will transport you to a tropical flavored paradise.
- 1 box butter cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 15-ounce can cream of coconut (NOT coconut milk) – this can usually be found in the drinks/mixers aisle of your local grocery store
- 1 15.25-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (sweeten to your preference)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- shredded coconut and maraschino cherries, to garnish if desired
- Prepare and bake cake in a 9×13 pan according to package directions. While your cake is baking, mix together the reserved pineapple juice, sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut until smooth.
- Immediately after removing your cake from the oven, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the warm cake, making sure to get it down into the holes. The cake will appear very saturated, but that’s okay. Evenly spread the reserved crushed pineapple all over the top. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Beat cream vigorously by hand with a whisk or using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer. When the cream starts to thicken, add in the powdered sugar and coconut extract. Continue beating until soft peaks form. You may also use Cool Whip if you wish. Garnish cake with shredded coconut and maraschino cherries.
- Keep cake covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.